Versions Compared


  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Image Added

In May 1956 the Wayside "Inn," then a women's residence on Irving St., north of the Graduate School (former Academy, now Schell Hall), was razed to prepare for the construction of a 25-bed infirmary. Construction began in October and was completed just over a year later. On December 30, 1957 the Health Center opened for service. Named for Dr. Clarence Wyngarden who served as the college physician and surgeon from 1940 to 1976. A member of the class of 1932, his interest in sports and his positionas team doctor made him a common sight on the sidelines of many games. At times his support was too enthusiastic as when the football team was penalized for Dr. Wyngarden's "loud protestations." In his honor the Health Center was renamed upon his retirement. Afterwards, Dr. Paul Groen assumed the roll of staff physician.