Versions Compared


  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Image Added

Money for this building was donated by John Quincy Adams, a cousin ofthe second and sixth presidents of the United States. Adams also donated money of the Wheaton Public Library, then located in the building occupied by the DuPage County Historical Museum. Adams Hall was first used as a gymnasium and was built in 1899. The basement of the building once contained a bowling alley for students. During World War II Adams was used, for one year, as an army barracks. It has been home to the Library Annex, Anthropology/Sociology Dept., Duplicating Service, various athletic activities, and the Book Store. It presently houses the Art Department. Originally known as the Gymnasium it was renamed Adams Hall on January 26, 1983. A significant addition to the building was completed in 2009.